Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Beginning


The Ohio River Water Front - Louisville, KY.

It is ironic that in February, which is Black History Month; I found myself planning a late spring bicycle tour which will take me along some of the historical points of the Underground Railroad.  I discovered through the Adventure Cycling Association a bicycle tour, The Underground Railroad Bicycle Tour, runs right through my backyard, Louisville, KY.


I have spent most of my life in Louisville, Kentucky and did not discover until recently the rich history of thousands of slaves who sought their freedom across the banks of the Ohio River bordering the states of Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio.  I thought I knew a few things about slavery in Kentucky and Louisville. I now find I know very, very little about slavery in Kentucky or my hometown of Louisville.  Oh, I knew my great grandfather was a slave on a farm in eastern Jefferson County, KY.; located on a tract of land where the Ford Motor Company’s Truck plant facilities are now located.  This farm was owned by the Williamson family.  I can only surmise; once freed my great grandfather dropped the son from the last name of his owner; thus becoming Williams.  Sure I have been aware of the contributions that many blacks have made in Louisville.  Muhammad Ali, Mary Ann Fisher Jimmy Ellis, Lionel Hampton, Whitney M. Young, Jr., and Darrell Griffith.  One of them was my mentor and former employer William E, Summers, III.   However, I am clueless to what so many had to endure, what so many sacrificed, how so many helped and how so many seeking freedom died.


I was ignorant of the countless people who assisted black slaves seek their emancipation along the Underground Railroad through Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio. I know this excursion I am undertaking will enlighten my knowledge of scarifies made by so many in order for me; as a FREE man to make this journey.




The Underground Railroad Bicycle Tour Promo

No comments:

Post a Comment